Saturday, February 16, 2013

Journaling My Journey

This is my official Origami Owl at a local coffee shop that my fiance and I frequent. My now mentor Crystal, had a stategicly placed table that caught our eye while waiting in line for our java fix. Gerry and I were so taken with the product that we purchased one of the display models instantly. This "I love you locket" as Gerry calls it, consists of a ball station chain, a medium stainless steel Living Locket and two starter charms--a crystal heart and cross. I also picked up a catalog so I could build upon my locket in the future. I planned to purchase charms, plates and dangles for every holiday and special occasion, While perusing the catalog my attention was drawn to a page detailing the opportunity to become an Origami Owl Designer. I quickly pulled out my phone and began scouring the website. I mean, if *I* love this locket so much, I can't be alone right? I figure all of my friends and family are going to want one! And if they don't buy from me, they'll buy from someone else? Or if they don't buy at all, what a great Christmas gift idea. Heck, if all else fails, I get some really great jewelry!!! So I called Crystal the very next morning, which in hindsight was much earlier than I probably should have on a Sunday, getting her out of bed. We had a quick conversation, exchanged email info, and by days end I had put in my application to become a designer. Again Origami Owl had virtually sold itself! The next two weeks as a designer in waiting...waiting to be promoted, my excitement only increased. I had received so many complements on my own Living Locket and promises to buy or host a jewelry bar, when I received my welcome letter on February 12th I did a happy dance. On February 14th (yeah, that's Valentine's Day!) I officially became an Origami Owl Independent Jewelry Designer! Yay me!

Now for the nitty gritty: I purchased the smaller business package at $140. I will admit I was not exactly thrilled by the fifty plus shipping and handling and taxes, but I still felt this was a small price to pay for a business opportunity. And the fact that I barely skipped a beat indicated how much I believe in the product. (At press I have been told that the shipping rates are being reduced.) Regardless, I believe I can recoup my cost by at least the second jewelry bar.  Oh, and there was a larger package and I had actually toyed with getting but honestly, they don't tell you what charms and plates you're going to get, you can't pick them yourself. My concern was spening over $500 (including taxes and shipping) to get all "nana" plates and soccer ball charms. Not that I have anything against soccer or my Nana, but you get my point. I wanted the ability to have more control over my starting inventory. Instead I will pick a few pieces here and there and build my own package.

As to that, I do not intend on having my launch party until have enough product. The business package only comes with one chain and a few lockets and charms, not enough to have people touch and play with. I think that will be key in the launch party. I do however fully intend to market the bejesus out of my business on the internet and will hopefully be able to recoup some expenses and buy some more goodies.  I'm excited about it and I think that will help keep me motivated in the marketing area.

The good news is my excitement also seems to be contagious and I already have one friend willing to have party for me, which meets my business plan goal of booking one party by February. And yes, I have a business plan. I think it is very important to set out goals and expectations. This way you have something to strive for are better equipped to gauge whether you are meeting your goals. DO THIS... I may be a young OO desinger, but I've been in the business world a minute and I do have some skillz to bring to the table ;) So now I sit and wait to see what goodies come in my business package. I've also set up my facebook account, twitter account, this blog, a gmail account with my business name (yes i also have a business name), and I've got a start on my own website. I know there is a portal for people to buy from me http://irresistiblecharms.origamiowl.com/ but hey,   I am a webdesigner by trade so you know I have to have a site of my own, hopefully driving traffic to my portal where people will buy tons of stuff or join OO themselves and become a part of my team.  Hopefully those people will be as motivated and exited as I am!

So off I go to wait for my business package and do some internet marketing.  Social media here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment