Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sales Training (Sort of)

Being probably the WORST sales person EVER, this whole selling thing is a new and foreign concept to me.  I have never been comfortable asking for money or asking for a sale.  Thankfully with Origami Owl you don't  have to be a sales person.  But I'm trying to step outside of my safety zone, knowing that it will only increase my sales and presence.  I try to do something everyday that will possibly get me a new customer.  Start small, like leaving a take out menu in the break room at work. Show your necklace to a friend at work and when they say how much they love it, tell them you're selling them, "Aren't they great? I'm selling them. They're fully customize-able  look you can open them up and change the charms anytime you want!" Once you get brave, hand a take out menu to a co-worker.  I'll generally preface it with, "Hey, I just started selling this jewelry and I thought you might be interested. No pressure AT ALL, if you don't want it, pass it on to someone you think might like it. I'm just trying to get my catalogs out there..."  I have found this angle makes me feel better about approaching them.  We've all had co-workers or friends come to us with stuff their kids were selling for school or the like.  That wonderful guilt or sense of obligation that you have to buy something.  So I don't like the idea of being "that person".  But when I phrase it in a way where I'm just trying to get my catalog out there, I feel better.  A GREAT sales person would find a way to later run into them with an, "Oh hey, did you get a chance to look at my catalog, what did you think?"  I'm not there yet!

I'm proud of myself though.  I have personally walked up to an associate at work and invited them to my launch party.  I've handed my card to the waitress who always serves me at my favorite lunch spot.  I'm challenging myself daily.  I still have moments when I walk away from a normal daily situation and realize that I've missed a promotion opportunity.  But the good news is I'm recognizing it.  Someday I'll be able to look at every situation as a possible promotion or selling opportunity.  That's right around the time I will have become that annoying sales person I've always been afraid of becoming :)  But hey, it's not like I'm selling cars or insurance (No offense).


No comments:

Post a Comment