Sunday, April 7, 2013

Never Underestimate a Possible Customer

While working my first festival, I met a woman who said she had heard about Origami Owl. I gave  her a take out menu (so hard for me not to call them catalogs) and she looked over all of my display items.  She proceeded to buy a locket on the spot and told me she wanted to order at least two more. I was so thrilled! I was in contact with her while she waited for her locket to ship, just to touch base and to suggest that she pick her locket up at my home office where I have everything on display.  As promised, when she showed up, she purchased two more lockets and explained that she wants to buy a third but wants her daughter to pick everything out.  I told her of an upcoming party I'm having at my house and suggested this is a perfect opportunity to bring her daughter and she can build her own locket.  (I was invoking a sales technique and didn't even know it!) She accepted my invitation and also expressed an interest in hosting a party.

How amazing is that?  Three to four lockets and a potential party from ONE customer, who was a total stranger.  Making it even more amazing, she is going to host a party and introduce me to all of her friends and family, all strangers who are potential customers and hostesses.  This to me is the key to this business.  Your friends and family are going to buy from you, but that's not enough to sustain you if you're looking to actually make a career out of this business.  You've got to hit your friends friends, your friends friends friends and so on. You've got to make contact with that "stranger" and infiltrate (for lack of a better word) their circle.  This is where you're going to find your success.  So for me, this early in the game to already have "strangers" as customers, I'm very excited!!!

{Woot Woot} and {Hoot Hoot}! <----Look I did my first "hugs around words"... Yeah I'm an Owl!

No comments:

Post a Comment